2016 Cardiff Kook Run
5K, 10K &
- About the race
- The Cardiff Kook Run 5K, 10K and Costume Contest is a celebration of the greatest community in the most amazing town on the map – and remember, it’s on Super Bowl Sunday!
- The course starts under the world famous “Encinitas” sign on historic HWY 101 in beautiful Encinitas, California. This scenic loop passes by the famous “Cardiff Kook” statue (The Magic Carpet Ride), rises above some of the most popular surf breaks in the world and heads down to Cardiff State Beach.
- Race Map
- Beachside Bar & Grill 10K Elite Race
- 10K Run/Walk
- 5K Run/Walk
- Start Time
The Cardiff Kook Run is the idea of Steve Lebherz and Seth Brewer, two locals who have been running this particular route for 15 years. They always said,
“Everybody should see this!”
Now everybody can.
Locals, kids, adults, serious runners and kooks alike are invited to run– for life, for community, for a really fun time.
Packet pick up
We strongly encourage you to pick up your bib and race shirt at Road Runner Sports either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday as race day will be quite crowded.
Cardiff Kook Run Packet Pick Up (BIBS/CHIPS & CKR long sleeve shirt)
- Road Runner Sports, 5617 Paseo Del Norte Carlsbad, CA
- Thursday, Feb. 4th from 2-7 pm
Friday, Feb. 5th from 2-7 pm
Saturday Feb. 6th from 12-7 pm
Road Runner Sports will provide 10% off merchandise for all CKR participants.
Elite 10K racing information
Men / Women
Men / Women
Men / Women
Bonus for setting new course record
Age Group awards for:
- 18 – 21,
- 22 – 25,
- 26 – 30,
- 31 – 35,
- 36 – 40,
- 41 – 45,
- 46 – 50,
- 51 – 55,
- 56 – 60,
- 61 – 65,
- 66 – 70,
- 75 and up
Costume contest Information
1st, 2nd, 3rd, Place awards
Individual and Group
Cardiff Kook Costume Contest
- Costume participants need to register at the Costume Contest Registration table prior to race start
- Prizes will be awarded to the top three athletes who best display the spirit of the annual Cardiff Kook
- The costume award ceremony immediately following the 10k race
- Race completion times have no bearing on costume contest results
- Normal running attire is not considered a costume
- Athletes must be present at awards ceremony to receive award
Are interested in volunteering?
Please fill out the following form and someone from our team will reach out to you.
The annual Cardiff Kook Run 10K & 5K is a celebration of the greatest town on the map – on the greatest day of the year, Super Bowl Sunday. The scenic loop will begin at Moonlight Beach, pass under the famous Cardiff Kook along the 101, rise above some of the most popular surf breaks in San Diego and then make its way down to Cardiff State Beach. Then you get to experience it all again on your way back.
CKR is proud to donate generous portions of proceeds to Cardiff 101 Main Street for the ongoing enhancement and preservation of the Magic Carpet Ride plaza and surroundings and also to assist the community of Cardiff with park related needs.